It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

sponsored by tropical fish guide pocket edition

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Locusts and other foods
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:36 pm 

Pet Dragon Info:
Keydo: male Rankins (Aug 08)
Twilight: male Anery Cornsnake (July 09)
Saracen: male Carolina Cornsnake (Aug 08)
Nancy: female Chillean Rose Tarantula (2010 ish)
Hi guys

My daughter and I have had our Rankin's a couple of days. Keydo is 6 weeks old, 10.5cm long.

The shop gave us two tubs of locust for him and said that's what he's been eating. Problem is, they looked big to begin with and are growing at an alarming rate. The smaller ones are the length of his head and others are bigger (2cm long).

He's eating one or two a day. One he ate out of my hand yesterday (swallowed it whole!) and I found the decapitated head of another today. One from yesterday remains missing in action so I'm assuming he ate it. He is pooing fine but I'm worried that these things are too big for him and wondered what you thought.

Also, I have been putting food in with the locusts. Is this right or should I only be feeding one or two at a time ie the ones that are going to be sacrificed :) in the next day or two?

Should I put him onto crickets instead?

Please help - I'm well confused! Thanks, Sam

Post subject: Re: Locusts and other foods
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:47 pm 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
Rankins: Mitzi (F).
Beardies: Luca (M), Mocha (M)
Blue Tongue Skinks: Teal (F), Cinnamon (?)
Giant Mexican Horned Lizards: Linus (M), Louis (M)
Uromastyx: Brian (M), Chloe (F), Kora (F), Kami (M), Melody (F), Murray (M), Omar (M)
Hi Sam,

The general rule of lizard feeding is that the prey should be no longer than the width between the animal's eyes. Anything larger than that and you risk impaction.

I'm not sure about the exoskeleton of locusts. We don't see them much on the west coast of the States (probably a pest law) but crickets have a softer 'outer shell' which makes them easier to digest. It sounds like he may be a little small to eat the bigger insects. I certainly wouldn't leave any extras in the cage if he is not eating them. I have heard some real horror stories about what crickets have done to small Dragons.

Give him as much as he will eat in a 5 minute sitting. Juveniles can be fed a couple of times a day as they really need to get their protein.

Make sure the basking temp is around 105 to 107. Juvies need it warmer to digest all that food they are getting. If you notice any undigested insects (big chunks) in his fecal, that can be a sign he's not getting warm enough.

Hope this helps,
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:07 pm 

Pet Dragon Info:
Rankins dragon called Fuzzy. Born jan 2016
Im worried too as my baby has eaten some enormous escapees today.
He is 8months old an seemed to swallow them no problem but now im concerned.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:48 am 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
Rankins: Mitzi (F).
Beardies: Luca (M), Mocha (M)
Blue Tongue Skinks: Teal (F), Cinnamon (?)
Giant Mexican Horned Lizards: Linus (M), Louis (M)
Uromastyx: Brian (M), Chloe (F), Kora (F), Kami (M), Melody (F), Murray (M), Omar (M)
Give him regular baths in warm (80 degree F) water. Put a small amount of olive oil in the water and scoop some up with your hand and let it run down onto his nose. See if he will drink the water. The olive oil will act as a laxative and help him to go. Also make sure he kept warn which will aid his digestion.

My guess it he will be fine but if you see him laying flat with his hind legs stretched out straight behind him that is a sign he may be having trouble passing something in his stool. The olive oil baths should help but if he hasn't pooped in a week or so then it may be a good idea to contact your vet.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]