It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

sponsored by tropical fish guide pocket edition

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Refusing to eat
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:17 pm 

Pet Dragon Info:
I have a 4 year old Rankin called Darwin, bought him on the 30/11/2016
Hi Darwin was doing really well, still wouldn't eat crickets, looks at them like they are going to kill him, he ate locusts for a bit but then refused to eat them. So we tried dubia roaches which he ate but now refuses them. I bought butterworms but he just refuses to even look at them when you offer him any. I He is even refusing to eat wax worms. He was really active but all of a sudden he has climbed up a branch and is hiding behind it. He isn't asleep, he's wide awake. He's not even eating veg. I was told that he was four but due to some inconsistencies from his previous owner, I'm not entirely sure if he's older than that.
Any help would be appreciated
Carol

Post subject: Re: Refusing to eat
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:01 am 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
Rankins: Mitzi (F).
Beardies: Luca (M), Mocha (M)
Blue Tongue Skinks: Teal (F), Cinnamon (?)
Giant Mexican Horned Lizards: Linus (M), Louis (M)
Uromastyx: Brian (M), Chloe (F), Kora (F), Kami (M), Melody (F), Murray (M), Omar (M)
Hi Carol,

Does he have a UVB light in his enclosure? If so, how many months old is the bulb? Is the bulb within 15 inches of the enclosure floor, or where the animal basks?

How long have you had him?

How warm are things in the basking spot? What is the temperature in the cool zone?

Does he have access to a shallow dish of clean water (changed daily)?

What size is the enclosure he is in? What are you using for substrate on the floor of the enclosure?

The above questions will help rule out/in any potential husbandry issues (but no-one is going to start pointing fingers) but it's worth noting that this is also the time of year when they will be brumating, so they will often slow down and stop eating but they also usually sleep. If he is wide awake then there could be something else going on. Stress will also do this to them so be sure to note any changes in his enclosure, such as moving of cage furniture or cleanings, that may have happened right before this started.

Hope this helps,
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:32 am 

Pet Dragon Info:
Hi Mark thank you
Darwin is 4 years old, he does have a uv light and its 2 months old. He is in a 4ft viv and his uv is 3ft . His basking side read 98f yesterday and his cool side read 75f. I turn everything off at night because my house doesn't get very cold. He has reptile carpet, a dish of water changed daily which he isn't drinking from we have to bathe him to make sure he is staying hydrated. I have had problems from the start the lady i got him off said he wasn't really eating and to start with i thought he was in brumation and then he became active and was eating but not very often. Yesterday i noticed that there is a soft bulge on his side under his arm so will be ringing the vet today.
Should i be giving him a heat source at night?
Thanks Carol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:28 pm 

Pet Dragon Info:
here is a pic of Darwin you can see the lump in this pic I hadnt noticed it before. Hes off to the vets thursday, cant get him in any earlier.

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/3811/tomDri.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:04 am 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
Uromastyx: Brian (M), Chloe (F), Kora (F), Kami (M), Melody (F), Murray (M), Omar (M)
Hi Carol,

I think taking him to the vet is a good idea. Your husbandry sounds OK but the lump is noticeable and cause for concern. It could be a cyst (which can be drained) but should be checked out with an X-Ray and bloodwork (to look at white cell counts).

If the room temperature does not drop much below 70 at night I don't think it would be necessary to add heating.

Please post back after the vet visit to let us know how he is doing.

Best regards,
Mark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:34 am 

Pet Dragon Info:
Hi I'm fuming to be honest vet wasn't really very helpful, he told us that we need to persevere with feeding, wasn't worried bout the lump and didn't want to do any blood work etc. Apparently the back of Darwins throat is inflamed. Can't get a second opinion as he's the only vet that deals with lizards in our town.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:04 am 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
Hi Carol,

I'm very sorry to hear you had such a bad experience.

There is a link from this site to help find vets. Perhaps there is a better one a little further our. The search page can be found here
http://rankinsdragon.co.uk/find.php?step=2

There's also this site http://www.reptilevets.co.uk/

or this one http://www.herpvetconnection.com/uk.shtml

Or if you are in the US then this might work http://www.herpvetconnection.com/

An inflamed throat and unexplained lump are NOT things to be ignored. At the very least bloodwork (a full reptile panel or CBC at minimum) should be carried out but I would combine that with X-Rays or ultrasound of the lump. Perhaps a culture swab of the inside of the mouth too to see if it can be cultured. The whole thing wouldn't take more than 30 minutes and you would have a definitive diagnosis in a couple of days (maybe a week for the culture).

It's so disappointing that someone in this position does not seem interested in helping you.

In the interim, I would continue daily soaking in a solution containing something like Reptaid or Reptiboost. Scoop the water up and let it trickle down on the tip of his nose. Eventuall you should see him start to drink it. I would also try and get some BeneBac powder (a probiotic) to add to the water. This will help restore good gut fauna.

If you feel up to it you can assist feed him using some turkey baby food and a thin bladed rubber spatula. Draw up the baby food into a 1cc insulin sytinge or use something from a pet shop that is used to feed baby birds and cut the tip back a bit to widen it. Place the blade of the spatula between his lips and wiggle it up and down until he opens his mouth. Slide the spatula in his mouth so that he bites down on it. You can then get the tip of the syringe into his mouth (make sure it's ABOVE the tongue) and slowly squirt a little of the food into his mouth. Remove the syringe and spatula and let him eat. Repeat this until you've got about 0.2cc of food into him but allow him to swallow and digest each mouthful. Repeat this daily until you can get him into a vet.

With dragons water is more important than food, so don't feel pressured to feed him lots. As long as he is bathing and drinking water, getting small amounts of food, then he will be fine until you can find a better vet.

Hope this helps,
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:05 pm 

Pet Dragon Info:
Hi thanks Mark that was very helpful. Darwin is going to the vets tomorrow for tests, so hopefully we will get some answers
Carol

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]