It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

sponsored by tropical fish guide pocket edition

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Doesnt eat any greens/veggies
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:19 pm 

Pet Dragon Info:
Spike- august 2013 to present.
Lost his friend late November 2013 to an unknown illness, she will forever be missed.
I have a rankins dragon 'spike' , about 3 years old, i am looking for some advice/help on a few things.
1. He will not eat veggies, am i doing something wrong, is there some veggies he might prefer?
2.He is not really active, he can sometimes be just sitting by the glass of the vivarium, i will then go off for 6 hours and when i go home he has not moved.
3.What live foods can i feed him, he will always eat meal-worms if given to him and in all of my local shops, the locusts are always dead.(my local store that i used to buy food from has closed) They are the only foods i can get for him in my area as far as i know, will there be anything bad about him living on mainly meal-worms and a few locusts(when i can get them)and is there anything else that i can buy/can be sourced online that he would perhaps eat

Post subject: Re: Doesnt eat any greens/veggies
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:19 am 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
Rankins: Mitzi (F).
Beardies: Luca (M), Mocha (M)
Blue Tongue Skinks: Teal (F), Cinnamon (?)
Giant Mexican Horned Lizards: Linus (M), Louis (M)
Uromastyx: Brian (M), Chloe (F), Kora (F), Kami (M), Melody (F), Murray (M), Omar (M)
Hi,

Has he been like this for a while, or did it start fairly recently? If it started around October then he's most likely feeling the need to brumate. His activity levels will pick up again around March. In the interim, just feed him whatever he likes to eat and make sure he has a shallow dish of fresh water (changed daily) in his enclosure to drink and bathe in. Water is very important to them.

Rankins are much more insectivorous than Bearded Dragons and while mealworms are not really advisable as a dietary staple when the animal is not eating much else during brumation I would say give them to him. He needs protein.

Like most lizards Rankins are stimulated by colours in their food and see some colours much more vividly than others. Among these are green, red, yellow, purple, orange and white. You can try him with some turnip greens, frozen peas/carrots that have been gently warmed (but not cooked) in the microwave, chopped endive and bok choi. If feeding peas dust them lightly with calcium powder as peas bind to calcium in the body and if food is not supplemented it can leech calcium from the bones.

Insect-wise I would look for calci-worms (sometimes called phoenix worms) and butterworms. Both of these are good sources of calcium and nutrition, much better than mealworms.

Hope this helps,
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:59 pm 

Pet Dragon Info:
Spike- august 2013 to present.
Lost his friend late November 2013 to an unknown illness, she will forever be missed.
Hi as to your question if it started recently, no it has been going on all the time for the past year or so, he seems to be even less active in summertime. I will try and find phoenix worms.
Thanks
~MosaicDragon
Edit: he also does not seem too interested in peas but i will leave it a few days to be sure

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:32 am 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
Rankins: Mitzi (F).
Beardies: Luca (M), Mocha (M)
Blue Tongue Skinks: Teal (F), Cinnamon (?)
Giant Mexican Horned Lizards: Linus (M), Louis (M)
Uromastyx: Brian (M), Chloe (F), Kora (F), Kami (M), Melody (F), Murray (M), Omar (M)
Hi,

How new is the UVB light in his enclosure and how far above the cage floor is it?

Inappetance and lethargy in lizards can be attributed to a number of things, the most common of which are:

1. Stress

2. Illness

If it is illness then to have it go on for so long without a significant decline is very unusual. Parasite infestation is a possibility. Have you had a fecal exam done to test for parasites? If not, I would suggest that.

If it were my animal I think I would have an X-Ray and some bloodwork done as well as a fecal. If the bones appear 'washed out' in the X-Ray this would indicate metabolic bone disease (MDB). This relates to my question about the UVB light. MBD is caused by a calcium deficiency. We see this in lizards because they use the UVB from their lights to produce vitamin D3 and from there calcium. When they are not getting enough calcium the bod leeches it from the bones making them appear washed out in the X-Ray. MBD will also make them lose their appetite and lack energy. However, MBD causes them to decline after a few months.

Parasite infestation gives them all of the symptoms described and can, if the load is not excessive, last for quite a while but I would expect that after a year it would be quite severe. Same with infection.

I think the X-Ray, bloodwork and fecal parasite test would be the most comprehensive way to determine what is going on with him but will also likely prove expensive.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]