It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

sponsored by tropical fish guide pocket edition

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Eyes bulgeing red
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:37 pm 

Pet Dragon Info:
Rankin dragon around 1 year
Hi ive had my rankin dragon a few months she is 1 i fed her locus 4ths and 10 mins later both her eyes bulged out red was so scary. Does anyone know why this is also she has started sleeping standing up can someone please help. Thankyou

Post subject: Re: Eyes bulgeing red
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:22 am 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
Rankins: Mitzi (F).
Beardies: Luca (M), Mocha (M)
Blue Tongue Skinks: Teal (F), Cinnamon (?)
Giant Mexican Horned Lizards: Linus (M), Louis (M)
Uromastyx: Brian (M), Chloe (F), Kora (F), Kami (M), Melody (F), Murray (M), Omar (M)
Hi,

How is she doing now? The eye thing is very concerning to me. As it occurred after eating it tends to point at a problem with the food, specifically the size of the food.

If she is still having the problem, or appears to not be pooping or laying down with her hind legs stretched out straight behind her I would bathe her in warm (80 degree F) water and get her the soonest possible appointment with your vet. Those things would indicate impaction (a blockage in the digestive system or bowel) which can be dangerous if not treated properly.

When feeding dragons there are 2 important things to remember:

1. They need to be kept warm to digest their food (basking zone at around 102 degrees F for a sub-adult dragon, cool zone around 75 to 80)

2. Never feed them anything that is larger than the space between their eyes (when you are viewing the head from above). A young dragon should be fed pinhead crickets.

The sleeping standing up is quite common, especially when they are in a new environment. It can be a bit of residual stress, which is normals and usually goes away after 3 to 6 weeks. Mine sometimes do it even now.

Hope she is feeling better and that this info helps,
Mark

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]