A new keeper's guide to the Pogona Rankini / Henrylawsoni Dragon

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

sponsored by tropical fish guide pocket edition

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Brumating for 5 months (Australia)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:57 pm 

Pet Dragon Info:
I have a Rankin's dragon named Juan.
I live Australia, and my male Rankin's dragon stopped eating, being active, and started sleeping all the time about mid May, so late Autumn for me. He slept all through winter (I got him up once a week for a bath and drinking, and offered him food), but he is still sleeping now, and it is almost the second month of Spring. For a lot of the time, I kept his lights off, and a blanket covering his viv, but I turned the lights back on about a month ago. I just want to know if this is normal for some to sleep this long, or if I should take him to the vet.

Thanks, Ben.

Post subject: Re: Brumating for 5 months (Australia)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:01 pm 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
Rankins: Mitzi (F).
Beardies: Luca (M), Mocha (M)
Blue Tongue Skinks: Teal (F), Cinnamon (?)
Giant Mexican Horned Lizards: Linus (M), Louis (M)
Uromastyx: Brian (M), Chloe (F), Kora (F), Kami (M), Melody (F), Murray (M), Omar (M)
Hi Ben,

When she does brumate my girl will usually sleep from October through March. She's the only Rankins I have now but when I had more 5 months was not out of the ordinary.

Do you have his temps back to normal now (lights on for around 10 hours a day)? If so, try removing any hiding places during the day - but put them back before the lights go out - and see how he does over a couple of days.

Brumation can be problematic and it's not uncommon for things like parasites to take hold when they are sleeping. If you don't see him show signs of increased activity and appetite after 4 or 5 days I would take him to the vet for a checkup as he may have a couch of pinworm or coccidia.

Hope this helps,
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:27 pm 

Pet Dragon Info:
I have a Rankin's dragon named Juan.
Hi Mark,

I did what you suggested and took out the hides for the past few days, and he seems to have improved. He is usually out basking most of the day, and he seems to eat normally. However, he still sometimes will try to sleep, like by going to the farthest corner from the light, or crawling underneath some of the other rocks in his cage.

On the other hand, when i take him outside, or even just out of his cage and into my bedroom, he is very active. He will run all over the place and i have to make sure I dont lose him!

I have not taken him to the vet yet but I will do if needed.

Thanks, Ben.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:56 am 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
Rankins: Mitzi (F).
Beardies: Luca (M), Mocha (M)
Blue Tongue Skinks: Teal (F), Cinnamon (?)
Giant Mexican Horned Lizards: Linus (M), Louis (M)
Uromastyx: Brian (M), Chloe (F), Kora (F), Kami (M), Melody (F), Murray (M), Omar (M)
Hi Ben,

If he's still looking to hide when he's in the cage I would check your basking temps (maybe he's getting too hot?) If they are in the normal range I would definitely have your vet check him out as it could be parasites.

Best regards,
Mark

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]