sponsored by tropical fish guide pocket edition

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Chinese Water Dragons
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:57 pm 

Pet Dragon Info:
1 Rankins dragons Archie
4 Leopard Geckos Malibu - Phoebe -Skye and Layla
Hi

Question for Mark or anyone else who knows about Chinese Water Dragons.

I would like to get a Chinese Water Dragon, I have done lots of research on the internet and in books to find out as much as possible about them and their care and feel quite confident that I could look after one, my real problem is the two pet shops that I use are giving me completly different advice so now i'm confused.
One tells me they are easy to keep and they sell them in their shop, I have brought my two geckos and my Rankins dragons from them and they have always been there for me if I need help.
The other pet shop have told me not to even think about them as the are hard to look after and are very susceptable to mouth rot and other diseases due to conditions they are kept in. This particular pet shop sold me two geckos about three years ago that had parasites :( and they both died so i'm a bit loath to believe them, I only use them for live food now as they are in the town where I live.

I would be very greatful for any sound advice to help me make the right decision.

Many thanks
Michele

Post subject: Re: Chinese Water Dragons
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:06 pm 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
Rankins: Mitzi (F).
Beardies: Luca (M), Mocha (M)
Blue Tongue Skinks: Teal (F), Cinnamon (?)
Giant Mexican Horned Lizards: Linus (M), Louis (M)
Uromastyx: Brian (M), Chloe (F), Kora (F), Kami (M), Melody (F), Murray (M), Omar (M)
Hi Michele,

I think the truth lies somewhere in between. Many Water Dragons do succumb to mouth rot and this can be made worse (infections) due to the conditions in the enclosure.

For the most part though, if you change the water regularly (a few times a day for these guys) and keep everything clean and sterile you shouldn't have any problems. By their nature, semi-aquatic reptiles always require higher maintenance than a desert dweller. The presence of water increases the production of bacteria and this an be harmful to humans as well as reptiles but if you've done your homework you know what to expect and to take the appropriate precautions.

This lady moderates a few of the sites I post on and has an excellent Water Dragon site (you may already have seen it)

http://www.triciaswaterdragon.com/ full of good info.

Just a thought but if you can find one in the U.K. you might want to consider an Australian Water Dragon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_water_dragon

I love these guys, they get quite colourful, tame down nicely and seem to be a lot hardier than their Chinese counterparts.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]