A new keeper's guide to the Pogona Rankini / Henrylawsoni Dragon

It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

sponsored by tropical fish guide pocket edition

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: australian water dragon??
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:02 pm 

Hi im looking into gettin a new rep just wondered if anyone has an australian water dragon, if so what are they like or any other ideas of diffent lizards.. i have a 5ft long x 2ft x 2ft wooden viv spare well will be soon when i move my male rankins 2 a smaller viv..

Post subject: Re: australian water dragon??
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:47 pm 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
Rankins: Mitzi (F).
Beardies: Luca (M), Mocha (M)
Blue Tongue Skinks: Teal (F), Cinnamon (?)
Giant Mexican Horned Lizards: Linus (M), Louis (M)
Uromastyx: Brian (M), Chloe (F), Kora (F), Kami (M), Melody (F), Murray (M), Omar (M)
Hi,

I very nearly bought one of these myself a few years back. They are very nice looking lizards.

The viv is certainly large enough. I would use washed playsand for the substrate as they like to dig a bit. They like to climb too, so some branches and rocks would be good and a log or something to hide under. Temps run similar to Beardies (about 75 at the cool end and 95 in the basking zone). A source of UVB, such as a ReptiSun 5.0 bulb, is also required. They love mealworms but I would try to get them on crickets and silkworms or phoenix worms. It's a healthier diet for them. Collard and Mustard greens are a good way to round out the diet.

As the name suggests they like a drop of water, so a large shallow bathing area with fresh water daily as they tend to poop in it a lot.

I would imagine there are a lot of caresheets out there for them but the basic care runs similar to a Beardie or Rankins in terms of environment, lighting and feeding.

Keep in mind that, with good care, these guys can live about 20 years, so they require some commitment on the part of the owner.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Post subject: Re: australian water dragon??
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:08 pm 

Pet Dragon Info:
2 Rankin Dragons under 6 months old
1 Chinese Water Dragon 19 years old
1 Giant African Land snails
and some fluffy pets too
I have a Chinese water dragon, not sure if they are similar.

Chinese water dragons need a special made tank as they like it to be really tall for climbing, this includes vines and bark for climbing as well as basking spots. They need a very large, very deep water bowl available at all times too as they like to swim and bathe in the water when its warm, it also needs to be cleaned out daily because they poo in it. Gex likes to be on bark, but reptile carpet is probably better as they wont be able eat it and get impaction.

She needs her tank really warm too, 28-35 degrees celcius

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]