Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: New Additions
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:54 am 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
Rankins: Mitzi (F).
Beardies: Luca (M), Mocha (M)
Blue Tongue Skinks: Teal (F), Cinnamon (?)
Giant Mexican Horned Lizards: Linus (M), Louis (M)
Uromastyx: Brian (M), Chloe (F), Kora (F), Kami (M), Melody (F), Murray (M), Omar (M)
The last month or so were very hard for us. We lost one of our Rankins and our Blue Tongue Skink.

Some good news for a change. We recently added a new Blue Tongue Skink (our daughter has named her Teal) and are in the process of acquiring a Giant Horned Lizard (female) that is yet to be named :D :D :D

We are very fortunate to know someone who has a horned lizard for sale. The Giant Horned Lizard (p. asio) is quite rare outside of zoos and was only bred in captivity in the U.S. last year, so we are excited to be bringing her into our home.

I hope to post some pics of them both soon.

Best regards,
Mark

Post subject: Re: New Additions
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:47 am 

Pet Dragon Info:
I male Rankin called Button. 16 months old, Sadly passed away.
1 Blood red rainbow 1/2 cross Bearded Dragon called Solar 2 years old.(Male)Sadly passed away.
1 Bearded Dragon called Lunar 3 years old. Male!
I bearded dragon called Nando 2 year old Female
1 old Ginger Tom cat called Cookie.16 years.
Hi Mark
Thats brilliant news.
Can't wait to see the pictures of your new additions.
Terri x x x

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:43 am 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
Uromastyx: Brian (M), Chloe (F), Kora (F), Kami (M), Melody (F), Murray (M), Omar (M)
Here's a picture of Lucy and Louis. They are Giant Mexican Horned Lizards. You won't see too many of these outside of Zoos right now. They are not common in the pet trade and were only bred in captivity in the U.S. in 2011.

We are so proud of them

http://lizardsonline.com/photo/photo_one.php?name=494d475f32303132313031345f3139333335302e6a7067&dir=4c697a61726473

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:17 pm 

Pet Dragon Info:
1 Blood red rainbow 1/2 cross Bearded Dragon called Solar 2 years old.(Male)Sadly passed away.
Hi Mark.
They are beautiful lizards. How big do they grow? Are you planning on breeding them?
They look very gentle creatures I bet you are so proud of them.
Terri x x x

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:22 pm 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
Hi Terri,

They are very sweet and have lots of character :) They are probably fully grown (6 to 8 inches), so despite being "Giant" horned lizards they are not as big as the name suggests.

We are seeing a lot of head-bobbing and tail wagging from them, so we are hoping they will breed for us. They were only successfully bred in captivity in the U.S. last year, when a pair at the San Diego Zoo produced babies. If they bred for us the offspring would be extremely rare, so we're keeping our fingers crossed.

Despite all the spikes they are some of the most mellow lizards I've come across. They tolerate being handled very well despite being in new surroundings, and always come running over to the front of the cage if you stop to look in :D

This species of lizard eats ants, so we are waiting for a shipment of Harvester ants to arrive so they can get a really good feed.

Best regards,
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:38 pm 

Pet Dragon Info:
Hi Mark
They sound amazing and such a new challenge for you if they manage to breed successfully.
That would be brilliant.

No sign of brumation from my beardies yet despite their lights going off as soon as it goes dark
Solar crawls off to the back of his tank behind his log about 7pm. Lunar wanders around her tank with the light off till about 9.30pm when she plants herself in a random place in her tank. When I get up in the morning Solar waits for his lights to go on before he crawls over to his basking rock. Lunar is usually awake and prancing about at the front of her tank waiting for me.
They haven't slowed down with their food intake and are still very active during the day, enjoying a supervised run around the conservatory in the afternoon.
I'm not too worried though because they seem happy and healthy and maintaining their weight nicely.
Solar is 734g and 26 inches in length. Lunar is 856g and 23 inches in length.
Terri x x x

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:42 pm 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
Hi Terri,

The weather has been a bit funny here lately too. A lot of ours would be brumating by now but are still out and about. A couple of our Uros and one of the Rankins have started laying down recently. Now that it's started to rain (until recently we hadn't seen any rain since June) and turn colder we might see some more.

Those are some big Beardies :) They may have some German Giant bloodlines in there somewhere. I had a female GG that got up around 700g but most of mine have been 4 to 500. My female Egyptian Uromastyx is 1500 but she's a BIG lizard.

Don't worry too much if they don't brumate. I have some that never do it. It's all down to ambient conditions and our home never really gets much below 70F, even during the Winter months.

Best regards,
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:53 pm 

Pet Dragon Info:
Hi Mark.
The weather has been very bizarre here, one day cold and torrential rain, the next day warm and sunny.
My Beardies are in the conservatory which is south facing so if we get sun it gets very warm in there.
They didn't brumate last year either. They are very sociable creatures and spend most of their day watching me doing housework or the tv if I'm resting.

They are very big and so many people who have seen them have commented on their size.
Solar is quite long and lean but has a longer tail and a very wide tail base.
Lunar is shorter and a bit chunkier round the middle. Her head is quite large compared to Solar.
She is probably a bit overweight as she does eat a lot more than Solar but she is also a lot more active. She reminds me of a puppy at feeding time, waiting by her dish and emptying it almost as soon as it's filled.
Solar tends to eat smaller amounts and basks in between.
It's strange to think that they were so tiny when I got them. Solar was 8g and Lunar was 11g.
Terri x x x

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:02 pm 

What are them horned lizards like as pets ? ive heard they are a nightmare to keep and ofton die in captivity ! ive seen a few in 2 pet shops near me and was thinking of gettin a trio??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:59 pm 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
In general, Horned Lizards are not recommended for most folks. There are several different species and you have to be very wary of their dietary needs.

Many of them (but not all of them) need ants in their diet. Specifically Harvester Ants. They use the formic acid to aid in digestion. The problem with Harvester Ants is that they are quite large and will sting/bite. This is a particular issue for anyone with young children or other animals. The ants must be kept in a secure container (airtight with airholes drilled in the lid).

The ones we have are very hard to find outside of their native Mexico and like their temps a little warmer than most.

This having been said they seem to be doing pretty well with us and are quite mellow.

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next