A new keeper's guide to the Pogona Rankini / Henrylawsoni Dragon

It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

sponsored by tropical fish guide pocket edition

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: A Beardie for us
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:03 pm 

Hi,

It's taken all week to post but we got another lizard at the weekend! An adult Bearded Dragon, who we've named Harry.

Apparently he was brought to the pet shop by his previous owner because his landlord didn't allow tenants keep animals and had carried out a spot check. We had seen Harry on a trip to the pet store 3 weeks ago and were very drawn to him :). The pet shop owner thinks Harry is about two. He's a big boy, compared to a rankins anyway :lol: I haven't weighed him yet but that will be interesting! I've held him briefly a few times and he's very cuddly :D. Am mostly leaving him be though for this week while he settles in. He seems pretty mellow and is settling in well as far as I can tell.

He's in the 3ft glass viv I had been preparing for Nalani. I'm going to see how that goes and will move him to a bigger one in a few months if he's seeming cramped. Will be letting him out for exercise too of course. At the moment he's not moving much - he looks happy enough, and either basks on his log (if I put him there) or more often lies all pancaked out on the floor of his viv, watching what's going on. He's eating well, though hasn't pooped since we got him, so I think perhaps a bath with a little olive oil tomorrow :). He's in the sunroom where we spend quite a lot of our day, and from there can he see the kitchen, and into the sitting room and a little bit of the garden.

Choco is doing pretty well with the new arrival. As he arrived first he got the sitting room spot, and I'm keeping one of the curtains part way across for now so they can't see each other. It's only an oblique view but he did seem rather interested/anxious after one brief sighting. He's settled again now and seemed happy today so fingers crossed we're fine.

Anyway - I rambled as usual! Just wanted to share.

They're not the best of him but here's a couple of photos I took on Saturday. I put him on the beech chippings at the pet shop owner's suggestion and he does seem to like burrowing in something at night (or maybe he was trying to get them out of the way, I don't know!). (He was on calci sand in the shop :shock: ) . From what I can tell he prefers lying flat on the vinyl during the day though so I've removed some and there's more vinyl now and the chippings just on the left side. I'm thinking of switching to something a bit comfier, like carefresh, once he's more settled. Also think I may put a hide in the cool end. I was told he wouldn't need one but think he may want the shelter more than the space at this stage. Lots to learn about him :).

Catherine

Post subject: Re: A Beardie for us
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:23 pm 
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Pet Dragon Info:
Rankins: Mitzi (F).
Beardies: Luca (M), Mocha (M)
Blue Tongue Skinks: Teal (F), Cinnamon (?)
Giant Mexican Horned Lizards: Linus (M), Louis (M)
Uromastyx: Brian (M), Chloe (F), Kora (F), Kami (M), Melody (F), Murray (M), Omar (M)
Hi Catherine,

Congratulations :D :D

I can't see the pics here at worked because our network blocks webpage images but I'll look at them tonight when I get home.

It's a good feeling to rescue an animal and he has definitely found a good, loving home with you.

Watch for any signs of stress, either from the Rankins or the Beardie. If either one seems to be getting hyperactive and/or not eating you may need to restrict their view of each other. I know that 2 of my Rankins used to drive one of my Beardies nuts. They would parade backwards and forwards and he would get a jet black beard and be bobbing his head like mad at them. I had to block his view of them for a while until he calmed down and learned to accept them.

Best regards,
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:41 pm 

Hi Mark,

Thank you! :)

Okay will be extra vigilant about them not seeing each other. That's interesting it was your Rankins who wound up your Beardie! I hadn't thought of it being the other way around.

Harry is looking better hydrated after a couple of baths. Shall be glad when he poops- otherwise all's great I hope (am taking him for a check up at the vet tomorrow). Had him out exploring and on my shoulder yesterday and today :D. I don't know what is normal but he seems to have been handled a lot and be quite friendly.

Best regards, Catherine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:02 am 

Congrats Catherine! hows he doing with the wood chip? along with sand ive seen and heard some terrible stories about it (missing food and unfortunately grabbing one or two of it chunks of it :( ) is that lino peeping through to the right?

Looks amazing! Im not into beardies, the whole look and such IDK why but hes definately a stunner I must admit!

Confrats once again! :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:22 pm 

Pet Dragon Info:
I male Rankin called Button. 16 months old, Sadly passed away.
1 Blood red rainbow 1/2 cross Bearded Dragon called Solar 2 years old.(Male)Sadly passed away.
1 Bearded Dragon called Lunar 3 years old. Male!
I bearded dragon called Nando 2 year old Female
1 old Ginger Tom cat called Cookie.16 years.
Hi Catherine.
Hope you had a great Christmas with your new arrivals.
Harry is beautiful. I bet you are so proud to have him.
I've been eying up a beautiful 6 month old female beardie in our local reptile shop. She is a citrus hypo, pale orange and yellow. Very stunning but my husband said if I'm going to breed the two I have there is no room for a fourth tank.
Solar and Lunar are ok. Still not brumating but no worries, Mark said they should still be able to breed if they are happy with each other.
I had them to the vets for a health check and Lunar is definitely female as I wasn't 100% sure.
Solar loved the attention as the other vet, a trainee vet and a nurse all came in to see them. They all fell in love with him.
Lunar wasn't impressed and tried to bite the syringe of worming meds in half. She is such a feisty little madam.
They are both in perfect health. Solar is 604g and Lunar is 612g. They are huge now.
Happy New Year to you and your family.
Terri x x x

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:41 pm 

Hi James,

Thank you! :)

He's doing okay on the beech chippings but now he's well settled I'm in the process of phasing it out. I know what you mean and I am only feeding him on the other side (yes lino, well vinyl). The wood chips are now just where he sleeps, under the branch on the left. I am thinking of trying carefresh bedding again - I had used it before (for Nalani) and it seemed very dusty but I might try it again especially as Mark's lizards obviously do well with it! Otherwise might just leave it as all lino. Choco's now on all lino (the same kind - it's slightly textured) and he's doing well with that. It was sweet - I put in a little mat to see what he thought and the very first night he chose to sleep on it :). It's certainly much easier to keep clean. I don't know if Harry likes burrowing into something to sleep or not - I'm going to experiment, if he doesn't it will be all lino and the sandstone at the back.

Yes they are quite different from rankins. I'm still getting to know him and he's my first beardie so there's lots to learn. He's sturdy and quite showy in his behaviour, but along with that he seems to have a soft side and seems to get upset more easily than Choco. It's fun watching and getting to know the two of them. I was thinking having an adult would be a good way to start with beardies (and help me be more confident with rankins) and he is just perfect for us. We are lucky in that he seems to have been well handled by his previous owner and is very gentle natured.

I hope you and Mila are doing well.

best regards,
Catherine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:23 am 

Hi Terri :)

Thank you, we did! I hope you had a great Christmas too.

The female beardie sounds lovely! Are you still hoping to have her? I hope you can find a way, if you are.

I'm glad Lunar and Solar are well and it's all looking good for breeding. How exciting!!!! That's so funny about their different personalities! I bet they make a great combination. Goodness they must be huge. Harry seems big at 485g!

Thank you - Harry's colours have come out more now and he's got some really lovely yellows and oranges. He's really handsome and yes, I'm very proud to have him! :). He's settled in really well now I think and is such a joy. He is in our sunroom and loves when the sun is on him in the early afternoon. As his current viv is only 3ft, I make sure he comes out every day and he has been enjoying exploring. He's so funny when he runs (a real bounce in his step!), and he heads straight for the glass doors to have a look out into the garden :). He is eating well and really tucks into his greens now which is nice. I put olive oil in his weekly bath and he smells fabulous lol - I sneak an occasional sniff in :lol: when I'm admiring his eyes and telling him how handsome he is :). He's not mad about our cat or Choco, both of whom have fun winding him up, given the chance, but he's like your Solar in that he likes a lot of fuss made of him, so I can usually calm him down when I notice what's going on.

Happy New Year to you and your family too!

Catherine xx

Last edited by Catherine on Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:34 am 

Hi Mark,

Just to say we've had just the same issues with Choco winding Harry up. I would never have thought it would be that way round! I've had a couple of occasions when I've inadvertently drawn the curtain back so they could see each other and Harry has had a very black beard while Choco is eagerly parading up and down at the front of his viv! Our cat is apparently having fun with Harry too so I'm keeping an eye on things. Harry's doing well though and not off his food by any means :). He's a sweetie and other than that seems to be enjoying life! :)

Best regards,
Catherine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:11 pm 

Pet Dragon Info:
I male Rankin called Button. 16 months old, Sadly passed away.
1 Blood red rainbow 1/2 cross Bearded Dragon called Solar 2 years old.(Male)Sadly passed away.
1 Bearded Dragon called Lunar 3 years old. Male!
I bearded dragon called Nando 2 year old Female
1 old Ginger Tom cat called Cookie.16 years.
Hi Catherine.
I'm glad Harry is settling in well, he is stunning. He looks such a gentle little guy.
I have decided against the little female because although she is beautiful I want to concentrate on Solar and Lunar this year.
Breeding is a bit daunting and I want to get everything perfect for them. I'm saving for 2 small tanks and an incubator at the moment and will have to move a bit of furniture around to fit the tanks in as I want to keep them all together in the conservatory.
It's funny how Harry runs to the door to look out, Lunar does that too. She will stand there for ages just watching the birds but if a plane or helicopter goes past she runs under the sofa.
They were playing out together the other day, chasing each other around the table.
Both of them were head bobbing and Lunar was teasing Solar by arm waving at him and then running up my leg onto the sofa.
I don't think they are ready yet but I think the more time they spend out together the more they will accept each other.
There is still a bit of aggression there at times as my finger has found out. Solar went to bite Lunars tail and got my finger instead.
It didn't hurt because of a poor nerve supply to my fingers but I cleaned it and smothered it in Germolene.
It was the first time he'd bitten but it wasn't malicious, just an accident.
choco sounds like a character, teasing the cat. Cookie my old Tom cat doesn't even look at the lizards now, though he does get jealous when I'm cuddling them and he wants to sit on my knee. He's just an old softie.
I will try and post some more pics soon.
Love Terri x x x

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:53 pm 

Hi Terri,

Thank you! and sorry I had a busy couple of weeks and thought I had already replied. Harry has been shedding and has some really fabulous colours now. Yellows, oranges and olive-y greens:). He is sweet - very gentle and loves getting attention! He decided to climb up onto my head the other day :). Also really loves charging around both inside and outside his viv :). Now I know what you mean about it being like looking after toddlers! :lol: (though my daughter only smeared poop over the floor and up the walls once, not every day :) )

I hope everything's going well with the breeding preparations. That's lovely they are enjoying each other's company, and sounds promising for romance :). That's so funny about Lunar waving at Solar and then running away. Glad to hear she is playing hard to get!

Yikes, sorry about your finger! I hope it has healed up by now. Choco gives quite a nip if I am feeding him his greens and my finger gets in the way - can imagine a Beardie's bite would be quite powerful. I do hope the Germolene has done the trick.

I would love to see photos of them if you ever get the chance.

I think Choco was just asserting himself to Harry. They've not really seen each other since and all seems to be going well on that front. Choco seems to be okay with our cat which is surprising again given his size - luckily they are both fairly disinterested in each other (with Choco behind glass of course!). I think our cat gets a bit jealous of cuddles as well. I'm making sure to give him plenty of attention too. He's recently had to have 3 teeth out so has been needing extra tlc in any case.

How is Cookie doing? I hope he's well over his operation by now. I think it can be harder on them them convalescing over the winter.

I hope you and your family are well, Terri,

Catherine xx

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]